Green Painter Headline Animator

Google

Monday, January 21, 2008

How to Serve and Lead the Customer?


Customers who are new to your company may want to lead you in a direction that you are uncomfortable going. How do you deal with this? Sometimes giving the customer what they think they want violates what you have learned is best way to serve their interest. Sometimes if you follow the customers lead you will be hurt financially and loose their respect when things go wrong.

First why does the customer come in and try to make all the decisions. Most of the time it has to do with insecurity. They don't know what you know but they do have some knowledge. This insecurity can almost always be overcome. You must establish yourself as professional and knowledgeable. You must also be patient. Find out the specific concerns. When a customer feels that you understand them and answer their concerns satisfactorily then they tend to ease up and give you more trust.

The next issue that I run into is that some friend or family member says that such in such is the only paint to use. This is something that I am running into less and less as we establish ourselves as a respected and professional company. When it does happen I talk through my reasons why and ask the customer to question the expertise of the person with the opinion. If the customer does have valid reasons I gladly use their products. In cases where I am asked to use lacquers in a residential new construction home I will pass on the job if it comes to that. Respect is always central when dealing with your customers.

I used to think that doing what ever the customer asked was the way to serve them best. Now I know from my experience at the school of hard knocks that the best way to serve your customer is in and through the wisdom and expertise that you have accumulated. Relationships and trust will always be as fluid as a dance and in need of constant maintenance.

No comments: